Ticker Factory

Monday, March 12, 2018

Decade Quilt

I think I should name the current quilt I'm working on, "The Decade Quilt" because I started it so very long ago.  It is supposed to be for my bed so it was easy to put aside (and forget about) for years at a time!   I cannot begin to count the number of baby quilts and gift quilts that I have made since I started the Decade Quilt.  It started out by adapting a designer's collection of 2.5" pre-cut strips and finding complementary fabrics to go with it.  The center piece was a pattern I found in a quilting magazine about 7 or 8 years ago called, "Wiggle Worms".   As it suggests, it was a pattern for a child's size quilt.  I enlarged it until I couldn't go any further and had to design around it with complementary fabrics so I could make it fit a queen size bed.

I decided 2018 was the year to get this bad boy finished so I've been pushing myself and finally reached the stage that I could make the 'quilt sandwich':



When there is not a table large enough and only one person to do the job, I find clearing a space on the floor is the easiest way to make the sandwich.   Painter's tape really helps to pull the quilt backer fabric taut and keep it from sliding around while I smooth out the next two layers and use a couple hundred safety pins to keep everything pulled tight.  

Now comes the part that may just take another decade ... this queen size quilt is too large to machine quilt so I'm going to have to hand quilt this puppy.  Sigh.  Wish me luck. 


No comments: