Ticker Factory

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

BABY MINI ALBUM

I have been wanting to make a mini album for a long time and have finally attempted it.  Because I have a nephew whose wife is having their first baby in November, and because I have been off work recovering from knee surgery, I decided I'd make a baby album for my first attempt.

Actually, today is my first day back to work.  I started working half days so that I'm not sitting for too many hours.   I am back home and have had to elevate my leg and ice my knee... that explains the angle of the photos.  My nephew and his wife have decided not to find out the gender of their baby so this was challenging to balance gender-neutral colours.  I ended up using blue and pink anyway, along with cream tones, green, yellow and brown.  Most baby mini albums I've seen on other blogs were done specifically for girls and were very frilly with lots of flowers, jewels and lace... in other words, just gorgeous.  Because my album had to be gender neutral I had to forego all the feminine touches. 

As this is my first attempt at a mini album, I decided to use a purchased cover.  This is a Tim Holtz product that came without the binder ring which I purchased separately.  Although not "babyish", I liked the vintage look of the cover.  I attached an envelope to the inside cover of the book using double sided tape. I cut card stock to 6" x 8" so that the pages are slightly smaller than the cover and used a purchased wooden frame on the first page.   A smaller piece of card stock has been used to create a pocket.

I used two of the three frames that were in the package I purchased from Michaels.  Double sided tape has been used on 3 sides of this frame so Angela can slide a picture in the top.  


I printed various images I found on the Internet.  The left page has a pocket created by tacking down 3 sides of card stock that allows Angela to write some notes about pre-birth thoughts, baby showers, etc.   I know from Facebook that she has been taking pictures of her growing tummy at various stages so have made mats for three "baby bump" pictures.




 

I created a pocket between pages 9 and 10 of the album by putting two pieces of card stock together with double sided tape and leaving the side open.  I've made a double sided photo mat that slides into the pocket and the pocket is roomy enough for Angie to add more photos.


 I've left the top of this photo frame open to slide a picture in and I've used the narrow double sided tape on the three remaining outside edges to allow for the picture to be under the frame.


 





There is a growth chart on the left page and I've made a hinge with scrap card stock to attach a double matted booklet to the right page. 

The sand/green tone pre-printed card stock had 6 different designs postcard-sized so I have used one here to add a little interest and place for titles and comments.

I've tucked another envelope into a pocket on the left page and added a postcard-sized card stock page on the right to which I've glued a fussy-cut image from the original 6-card pre-printed card stock (that I've probably had in my stash for 5-6 years).  



The reverse side of this postcard-sized page has purchased paper/leather baby shoe stickers attached to it (one of my big splurges).  


Because the book wasn't too stuffed yet; I added a couple blank pages for Angie to expand the book.

Next time I will attempt to make and bind my own cover (maybe).  The binder format sure simplified the process.  It took me a long time to choose the card stock that I was going to use and to find, print and fussy-cut out all the images I wanted to use but the actual process of putting the book together took one day.  I should have taken a picture of the complete disaster my table was while making the album!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Umm... that is awesome!!! What an amazingly thoughtful gift, she will love it!