Ticker Factory

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Off the Page

I've been wanting to make something three dimensional for a long time.  I have seen so many cool objects made on various scrapbooking sites so just had to try it.   Glad I wasn't making it for anyone because it sure isn't perfect!  But, its my first 3-D project so its good to learn through my mistakes



This dresser starts out with Dollar Store match boxes.  I found two brands; the box is a bit deeper with this brand.   I pulled all the boxes apart and used acrylic paint to paint all sides of the drawers.  While they are drying you can together 3 or 4 of the outside portion of the match boxes but don't let the glue completely dry before putting the drawers back in.  I did and some of the slides were slightly warped from the spring clips I used to hold them together while the glue was drying.   
     Being a bit of a collecter (ha ha, that is putting it mildly), I save the cardboard backs off 8.5" x 11" pads of writing paper from work as we go through tons of them. So I had plenty of them.   I cut them to size to glue to the sides of the rows of drawers; and one in between the two sets of drawers.  I left the boxes apart for this stage but should have put them together first.   The process of gluing and clamping the slide portions slight warped some of them and the drawers were hard to put back in.  If you do leave the drawers in the box when you glue the sides to the cardboard, make sure you don't have the dresser drawers pushed all the way in when you do this or the drawers may be glued permanently shut when you glue the cardboard onto the back of the dresser. 
        You know those glass "rocks" you can buy at Michaels to put in the bottoms of vases  - the ones that have one flat side?   That is what I used for the handles for the drawers.   The little flower pot was another Dollar Store find painted with the same paint.   Originally, the dresser did have a mirror on the back.  Turns out the mirror was far too heavy and I needed a metal brace at the back to keep it from tipping the dresser over.  Instead, I decided to go with the Dollar Store wooden frame painted with gesso.  
       The phone is a metal embellishment I found at Walmart and the lamp is Dusty Attic chip board that has been primed first with gesso and then I used Copic Markers to colour the Tiffany glass designs and the base.

No comments: