Ticker Factory

Tuesday, March 26, 2013


I couldn't wait to start a new project once I saw a painted table runner in Cloth Paper Scissors.  What was utterly amazing was the amount of fabric that I've collected (hoarded) over the years. I rediscovered what I had while looking for a plain piece of white cotton that I could use to do a water colour painting.  If it turns out, maybe I'll mount it to a canvas to sit on the fireplace mantle.

Figure 1:  pattern


Trace the pattern with a permanent black marker onto white cotton.   Lay the cotton on a plastic covered surface and spray the fabric with water.   With watercolours and paintbrush, start with the lightest colour first working your way up in colour depth (Fig. 2).  I started with yellow, then pink, blue, green, purple (Fig. 3).  This first staining of the fabric is done with very watered down paints.  This is a lighter, transparent layer so less paint is better. 

Figure 2:
 
 
 

Figure 3:


I'm not a patient person when I have to leave things to dry before I can go on to the next step... let the fabric dry on a rack.    The second layer of highlights and shadows is painted onto the dry fabric to make any lighter areas darker and less muted.  Then add a darker background colour, which will seep and create brilliant shadows (so they say).    So for now, goodnight!

No comments: