Ticker Factory

Monday, November 22, 2010

Diarize this 5 years from now

Very groggy day today but I'm starting to wake up (6:30 p.m.). After our family's scare in March when my sister, Carrie, was diagnosed with colon cancer, we sat down and discussed our family risk and decided that all four of us had to be tested regularly. Our Dad and his mother both had colon cancer, and now Carrie. We were very lucky and are all thrilled that Carrie's surgery was a success and she did not have to have chemotherapy or radiation. Carrie and I took on the task of convincing our other sister and brother that they, too, needed to start testing if they haven't before. I was shocked to learn that our brother wasn't even getting regular annual check ups and didn't even have a family doctor. So I nagged him until he did get a doctor and he is scheduled for a colonoscopy in December. Marlene hasn't mentioned a date yet. I had one seven years ago and had a polyp removed. I was supposed to have the next one in 5 years but my alarm clock doesn't work that far ahead. Two years behind, but I had my second procedure this afternoon. Another polyp; another polyp removed. See, since Carrie had cancer this spring we have all read a lot more about the issue and have discovered that those small polyps is how cancer starts. So, consider me thankful.